Call Us (713) 973-7625

April 23, 2016 by
Jay Medley
When you’re looking to lose weight and get in shape, it can be tough to find a fun workout that you’ll stick with, so odds are that you’re looking into all sorts of exercises. Rock climbing provides a great, full-body workout, but is it good for losing weight?

Unfortunately, rock climbing is not the best exercise for losing weight – but it’s a great complement to a weight loss plan! It can help you to get the muscle tone you desire. Many climbers actually lose weight to improve their climbing.

Depending on the intensity of the climb (including your climbing speed, difficulty of the route, etc,) you could burn up to 300 or 500 calories in a half-hour climb. If you’re a beginner, you probably won’t be doing any climbs that will burn that many calories. You’ll be starting slower, on easier routes that will not raise your heart rate like cardio does.

You lose weight when you burn more calories than you consume, so a weight loss plan needs to include both decreasing your caloric intake and burning more calories through physical activity. The most important part of a weight loss plan is diet; some even say that diet is 70 percent of weight loss while exercise is the other 30 percent.

A healthy meal plan will make a big difference in achieving your weight loss goal. An effective form of exercise for weight loss is high intensity interval training (HIIT,) in which exercises are done for a short time but in an intense manner. It will raise your heart rate like cardio, but includes many muscle-building moves as well. Many TRX classes or boot camps use HIIT during their classes, which make them great programs for weight loss.

So is rock climbing just for those who are already in shape? What about everything you’ve heard about rock climbing giving you an intense workout? It uses many muscle groups and gives you a full-body workout. You’ll build and develop muscles, giving you great muscle tone. As you lose weight, these muscles will become more and more visible.

Rock climbing will also help you to develop agility and a better sense of your body and it’s movements. The muscles you develop will come in handy during other workouts, too. Having those muscles will help you to burn calories during the day. Muscles at rest burn more calories than fat at rest, so those muscles will be helping you even when you’re sitting.

While rock climbing might not provide the best weight loss results on its own, together with a healthy diet and a boot camp or TRX fitness class, you’ll be able to see great results. One of the most important parts about an exercise regime is that it keeps you interested and challenged so that you will stick with it. Consider including rock climbing to keep yourself moving and engaged; even if rock climbing isn’t the most effective exercise for weight loss, it is much better than no exercise at all.

Facebook Comments